Life Skills Education Toronto
Our Therapeutic Communication Program involves the creation of a relationship between the client and our team of professionals. This relationship involves and centers on each individual patient's verbal and nonverbal communication skillset that require the most support. Clients share their experiences, life stories, and are introduced to methods for dealing with the absence of certain communication and life skills, including the management of their substance abuse. Our counsellors are particularly adept at identifying gaps in the client’s communication methods.
It is a common misconception that a 30-day drug and alcohol addiction treatment program in Toronto is the key to sobriety. While it is true that these programs and others like them are a major component of recovery, in order to maintain long-term sobriety, certain life skills are invaluable. When someone becomes addicted to harmful substances such as drugs and alcohol, it can have detrimental effects on their ability to develop fundamental life skills to help face daily stressors. These skills are necessary for long-term sobriety, which is why Freedom From Addiction offers life skills education in Toronto.
What Is Life Skills Education?
For many people with substance abuse addictions, the basics of everyday living were either neglected or forgotten. This kind of behaviour destroys a person’s ability to function on a day-to-day basis as their life was put on hold to make room for their addiction. This means that they may not know how to once again be self-sufficient and independent when their drug and alcohol addiction treatment in Toronto is over.
Relearning skills that make coping with everyday life without the reliance on drugs or alcohol is important for long-term sobriety. Life skills education in Toronto focuses on restoring people’s confidence and self-esteem, which will give them the tools necessary for leading a sober life.
How Does Life Skills Education Work?
Freedom From Addiction clients will work with our team of professionals to develop the necessary life skills they may not be well versed in. Through a variety of different means, such as workshops, one-on-one counselling, as well as group counselling, we can identify which skills require further development and focus on building them.
Life skills education in Toronto covers a variety of different essential life skills, including but not limited to:
- Communication and interpersonal skills: This is a general description used to characterize skills that are required to get along and work with other people, especially when it comes to transferring and receiving messages verbally or through writing.
- Resilience and the ability to cope with problems: What this means is the ability to recover whenever you are faced with setbacks in life. Instead, you will be able to treat these setbacks as opportunities to learn.
- Self-awareness and empathy: As two main components of emotional intelligence, these life skills can help you understand not only yourself but other people and what they are going through as if it were happening to you.
- Creative thinking and critical thinking: This is the ability to think differently about problems and find new solutions you might not have thought about before.
- Decision-making and problem-solving: It is a key life skill to be able to make big decisions and solve problems. Understanding problems, the possible solutions to them, and how to then take action is important.
- Assertiveness or self-control: The ability to stand up for yourself and other people is an important part of recovery and remaining sober. It can help you stay calm in instances of provocation too.
Who Can Benefit from Life Skills Education?
Like skills are something that everyone needs in order to navigate our world and cope with a wide range of different situations. In a recovery program, you are constantly surrounded by help and support with access to a variety of helpful services. It is common to feel as if you are not ready to return to functioning in everyday life after these programs end. That is why anyone who has suffered from substance addiction can benefit from life skills education in Toronto.
Without certain essential life skills, life can quickly become overwhelming and it is all too easy to relapse.
Life Skills Education at Freedom From Addiction
Freedom From Addiction’s Therapeutic Communication Program is designed to help individuals who are in drug and alcohol addiction treatment in Toronto learn the necessary life skills to navigate everyday life. It involves the creation of a relationship between the client and our team of professionals. The interaction involves and centres on the client's requirements (e.g. verbal and non-verbal communication).
Clients share their experiences, life stories and are introduced to methods in dealing with the absence of life and communication skills, including their substance abuse. Our counsellors are particularly adept at identifying gaps in the client’s communication methods.
Contact us today to find out how Freedom From Addiction can help you learn the necessary life skills to lead a sober life.